Isaiah 33:14-16 – Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? Who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings? He who walks righteously and speaks uprightly, he who despises the gain of oppression, who gestures with his hands, refusing bribes, who stops his ears from hearing of bloodshed, and shuts his eyes from seeing evil: He will dwell on high; his place of defense will be the fortress of rocks; bread will be given him, his water will be sure.
The prophet Isaiah ask a very relevant question that all of us must ask as leaders: Who can stand up under God’s purification process? Who can remain unchanged through the fire of God? If we are to be the leaders that God has called us to be, we must posses certain character qualities. God cannot trust just anyone to be a leader among His people; He only chooses those who are capable!
In this passage Isaiah lays out a list of necessary traits for leadership. He says that these leadership traits are the kind that can stand up under the fire of judgment and crisis. Why don’t you take a little test and see if you have the ingredients it takes to be used as a leader. Now remember, be honest with yourself and with God…
- Integrity: The leader’s life and words match.
- Justice: The leader rejects dishonest gain.
- Convictions: The leader’s values won’t allow him or her to accept bribes.
- Positive focus: The leader refuses to dwell on destructive issues.
- Pure: The leader disciplines his or her mind to remain clean and pure.
- Secure: The leader is firm, stable in his identity and source of strength.
Well, how did you measure up? Like you I have numerous areas that need improvement. I want to be the best that I can be for God. It is my prayer and belief that you feel the same way!
Have a great and productive week. Pam and I are praying for you and your family.
Pastor Shane Warren
The Assembly, West Monroe