James W. Goll with Glory of Zion Ministries:
Crisis Prayer for Israel During the Hebrew Month of “Av”
(Especially the 9th of Av, which is July 20, this next Tuesday) – July 16
I have adapted this material from several sources of reliable friends (including Glory of Zion Ministries) in the Land of Israel today. I concur with it and hence am bringing it to your attention.
Let us be watchful! A Watchmen for Israel!
Critical Time for Prayers of Protection
This past Monday, July 12th, was the first day of “Av”, the fifth month in the Hebrew Biblical calendar. This date is specifically mentioned in Numbers 33:38 as the day on which Aaron, the High Priest died. This is a month which is looked upon with sobriety by many Jewish people—from the first to the ninth, many enter into a form of fasting by abstaining from eating meat.
The three-week period between the 17th of Tammuz and the 9th of Av (July 20th this year) is when the First Temple was destroyed and has sometimes been referred to as “Bein haMetzarim”—between the straits. Lamentations 1:3 states, “All her persecutors overtake her between the dire straits.”
Because of the many calamities that have occurred to the Jewish people throughout history during or surrounding this period of time, several key leaders in the land of Israel and in the global prophetic and prayer movements see this as a critical time for prayers of protection.
A Time of Attacks:
The following are among some of the verifiable events that have taken place within the month of Av itself:
• 586 B.C. & 70 C.E.: Both the first and second Temples in Jerusalem were destroyed during this month.
• 1492, 7th of Av: King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella expelled all Jews who refused conversion from Spain.
• 1929, 17th of Av: 67 Jewish adults and children were massacred by Muslim Arabs in Hebron.
• 1994, 10th of Av: Muslim Arabs bombed the Jewish community center in Buenos Aires, Argentina, killing 86 and wounding more than 300—the deadliest attack in the Diaspora since the Holocaust.
• 2005, 10th of Av: thousands of Jews began to be forcibly expelled from 25 towns and settlements in the Gaza Strip and Northern Samaria, as part of the “Disengagement Plan.”
Many “noted seers” have consistently seen this period of time as a season when demonic dark forces have historically sought to take advantage against God’s covenant land and people of Israel. This calls for special watchfulness over Israel and Jewish people in the nations, bringing them before the “Father of Lights” according to James 1:17. With this in mind, we are emphasizing special prayer for Israel during the Hebrew month of Av.
Although the name Av is actually a Babylonian name, adopted during Judah’s captivity, it happens to bear the same spelling and pronunciation as the Hebrew word for Father. As we pray in our Global Prayer Storm over the land and people at the beginning of this Hebrew month, we can remind God of His word as found in a verse from Jeremiah 3:4: Will you not from this time cry to Me, “My Father, You are the guide of my youth?”
PLEASE CONTINUE TO PRAY:
• That Israel be protected from evil that seeks an occasion to be released against her during these three weeks and throughout this Fifth Month.
• Pray Psalm 118:5: Out of the strait (metzar) I called to Ya (the LORD). Ya answered me in a wide-open place.
• For Israel—the People: to be brought into the fullness that God has for them, and to survive the narrows which must be traversed along the way.“Narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life” (Matthew 7:14). Yeshua came that His people might come into fullness of joy (John 15:11; 16:24).
• For Israel—the Land: to come into the fullness God has ordained. At present the land is too narrow to adequately nurture the Jewish People that God has already brought from the nations, and she is under constant pressure from the nations to become narrower still. “Enlarge the place of your tent; stretch out the curtains of your dwellings, spare not; lengthen your cords and strengthen your pegs. For you will spread abroad to the right and to the left” (Isaiah 54:2-3).
• Declare that Israel’s “times” are in the Lord’s hands and that evil cannot maintain sovereignty over any segment of time. Entrust the spirit of this land and people into the Lord’s hands, who has redeemed her (Psalm 31:5, 15).
James W. Goll
Encounters Network • PrayerStorm • Compassion Acts